What are Cookies?
A Cookie is any type of file or device that is downloaded onto a user’s terminal equipment for the purpose of storing data that can be updated and retrieved by the entity responsible for its installation.
Depending on the entity managing them:
– Own cookies: These are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the publisher itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
– Third-party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
Depending on the length of time they remain activated:
– Session cookies: They are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a website. They are usually used to store information that is only of interest for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (e.g. a list of products purchased).
– Persistent cookies: They are a type of cookies in which the data are still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed during a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to its purpose:
– Technical cookies: These are those that allow the user to navigate through a website, platform or application and to use the different options or services that exist in it, such as, for example, controlling traffic and data communication, identifying the session, accessing restricted access parts, remembering the elements that make up an order, performing the purchase process of an order, making the application for registration or participation in an event, using security elements during navigation, store content for video or sound dissemination or share content through social networks.
– Customization cookies: These are those that allow the user to access the service with some general characteristics predefined according to a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which you access the service, the regional configuration from where you access the service, etc.
– Analytics cookies: These are those that allow the person responsible for them to track and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected by means of this type of cookies is used in the measurement of the activity of the websites, application or platform and for the elaboration of navigation profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in terms of the analysis of usage data made by users of the service.
– Advertising cookies: They are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, if applicable, the publisher has included in a website, application or platform from which the requested service is provided based on criteria such as edited content or the frequency at which advertisements are displayed.
– Behavioural advertising cookies: They are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the publisher has included in a website, application or platform from which the requested service provides. These cookies store information on the behavior of users obtained through the continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows to develop a specific profile to show advertising based on it.